Today’s my birthday and as much as I love receiving, this year I’m giving something to you. Actually, I’m stealing something and giving it to you because this is my mum’s recipe for mulled wine. It’s bloody good and pretty much all I drink at Chrimbo. As the years have gone on I’ve certainly lost my boozy tendancies but this mulled wine… well, it’s simply marvellous.
(and measurements are dead rough btw, I make it slightly differently each time. Bung it cookery is what my mum would call it)
- One and a half bottles (medium sized) of ginger ale (low calorie if you want to compensate for all the sugar)
- 3oz brown sugar
- Two large oranges
- Three cinnamon sticks
- Two tablespoons of mixed spice
- One bottle of red wine
- One glass of ginger wine or brandy or whisky (I’ve listed these in order of my personal preferences)
- Stick the oranges with several cloves and set aside
- In a large pan, slowly heat the red wine, ginger ale and ginger wine with the cinnamon sticks
- Stir in the mixed spice and sugar and continue to heat
- Slice the oranges into rough segments (cloves included) and add
- Serve it up and enjoy!
I like my mulled wine pretty damn hot so I drink it out of a large mug but I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to have it warm and from a glass. Whatever your preference, enjoy it, it’s lush. And play around with the ingredients, you just can’t go wrong with this.